What Is Customized Autism Treatment?
C.A.T is a groundbreaking treatment method in the field of biologically-based practices, that assists in the reduction of autism symptoms by repairing impaired metabolic processes and supplementing nutritional deficiencies.
The C.A.T method is based on extensive analysis of advanced laboratory tests data and understanding of metabolic disorders and scientific mechanisms, such as:
- the biosynthesis pathway and the catabolism of neurotransmitters.
- the understanding of the tight connection between inflammatory processes in the body and their direct effect on the production of the neurotransmitter Serotonin.
- detection and repair of defective biochemical processes including deficient methylation processes that impair the Glutathione’s functionality.
- impaired sulfation processes.
- oxidative stress.
- understanding of the microbiome.
- detecting deficiencies that are co-factors in the synthesis of the neurotransmitters Noradrenalin, Serotonin and Dopamine.
Detecting and treating metabolic disorders helps improve verbalism, cognition, understanding of social situations. It also significantly reduces autism symptoms such as anxiety, hand waving, sleep problems, isolation, repetitive/perseverative behaviors, fixations, tantrums, picky eating, obsessions and a wide variety of common autism symptoms.
The connection between metabolic disorders and autism symptoms can be explained through several examples.
- One of the most common symptoms that appears in children diagnosed on the spectrum is eating or chewing non-edible materials such as sand, paper, colors and even feces. The behavioral approach attributes this behavior to the very existence of autism. However, a laboratory test may indicate an eating disorder known in the scientific literature as “Pica Syndrome”, derived from the lack of zinc and iron. And indeed, among dozens of children who suffered from this symptom and were treated with the C.A.T method, low levels of zinc and Ferritin were detected, which
helped to cease the described behavior completely.
- Another common symptom of autism is hypersensitivity to sounds and voices. Here as well, advanced laboratory tests may indicate a disorder known as the Hyperacusis. Among children who complain about this behavioral symptom, it is necessary to check if a deficiency in Pyridoxine exist and adjust the treatment accordingly.
- An additional common symptom is sleep disorders. Many children who are diagnosed on the spectrum have a hard time falling asleep, wake up too early and have superficial sleep. Customized treatment will include laboratory testing for methylmalonic acid parameter levels and the methylcobalamin parameter that is responsible for the deep stages of sleep (stage 3 and 4) and melatonin release (a hormone affecting the time and quality of sleep).
These are just a few examples of the way autism symptoms can be dramatically reduced through proper and professional analysis of advanced laboratory test results and a deep understanding of impaired metabolic processes.
How Does This Biochemical Principle Relate to Autism Treatment?
Children diagnosed on the spectrum often suffer from diverse impaired metabolic processes that can be diagnosed via comprehensive laboratory tests, such as tests to detect:
- trace elements.
- neurotransmitters metabolite.
- amino acids.
- mitochondrial failures.
- opportunistic pathogens.
- heavy metals.
- toxins (such as cadmium, mercury, lead, nickel).
- sensitivity to food.
- deficient metabolic processes.
Detecting impaired metabolic processes and treating them by supplementing deficiencies with vitamins, minerals and amino acids tailored to laboratory test results has dramatically enhanced verbal, mental and cognitive abilities in children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. It has also led to a significant reduction in a wide range of autism symptoms.
The laboratory tests include information on neurotransmitters, metabolites, vitamins, amino acids, minerals, toxins, pathogens and monitoring hundreds of laboratory parameters such as:
Calcium (Ca), Magnesium (Mg), Sodium (Na), Potassium (K), Zinc (Zn), Manganese (Mn), Chromium (Cr), Vanadium (V), Molybdenum (Mo), Boron (B), Iodine (I), Phosphorus (P), Selenium (Se), Strontium (Sr), Sulfur (S), Cobalt (Co), Iron (Fe), Germanium (Ge), Rubidium (Rb), Zirconium, Lithium, Tungsten, Arsenic-total, Barium, Beryllium, Bismuth, Cadmium, Palladium, Platinum, Silver, Thallium, Tin, Titanium, Uranium, Zirconium, Campylobacter, C. difficile, Toxin A, C. difficile, Toxin B, Enterohemorrhagic E. coli, Enteroinvasive E. coli/Shigella, Enterotoxigenic E. coli LT/ST, Shiga-like Toxin E. coli stx1, Shiga-like Toxin E. coli stx2, Salmonella, Vibrio cholerae, Yersinia enterocolitica, Cryptosporidium, Entamoeba histolytica, Giardia, Adenovirus, Norovirus GI/II, Helicobacter, pylori, Virulence Factor, babA, Virulence Factor, cagA, Virulence Factor, dupA, Virulence Factor, iceA, Virulence Factor, oipA, Virulence Factor, vacA, Virulence Factor, virB, Virulence Factor, virD, Bacteroides fragilis, Bifidobacterium spp, Enterococcus spp, Escherichia spp, Lactobacillus spp, Clostridium spp, Enterobacter spp, Akkermansia muciniphila, Faecalibacterium prausnitzii, Bacteroidetes, Firmicutes, Firmicutes:Bacteroidetes Ratio, Bacillus spp, Enterococcus faecalis, Enterococcus faecium, Morganella spp, Pseudomonas spp, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus spp, Methanobacteriaceae, Citrobacter spp, Citrobacter freundii, Klebsiella spp, Klebsiella pneumoniae, M. avium subsp. Paratuberculosis, Prevotella copri, Proteus spp, Proteus mirabilis, Fusobacterium spp, Result Normal, Geotrichum spp, Microsporidium spp, Rodotorula spp, Cytomegalovirus, Epstein Barr Virus, Blastocystis hominis, Chilomastix mesnili, Cyclospora spp, Dientamoeba fragilis, Endolimax nana, Entamoeba coli, Pentatrichomonas hominis, Ancylostoma duodenale, Ascaris lumbricoides, Necator americanus, Trichuris trichiura, Taenia spp, Steatocrit, b-Glucuronidase, Occult BloodCitramalic, 5-Hydroxymethyl-2-furoic, 3-Oxoglutaric, Furan-2,5-dicarboxylic, Furancarbonylglycine, Tartaric, Arabinose, Carboxycitric, Tricarballylic, Hippuric, 2-Hydroxyphenylacetic, 2-Oxoglutaric, Aconitic, Citric, 3-Methylglutaric, 3-Hydroxyglutaric, 3-Methylglutaconic, Homovanillic (HVA), Uracil, Thymine, 3-Hydroxybutyric, Acetoacetic, 4-Hydroxybutyric, Ethylmalonic, Adipic, Suberic, Sebacic, Methylmalonic, Pyridoxic, Pantothenic, Glutaric, Ascorbic, N-Acetylcysteine, Methylcitric, Pyroglutamic, 2-Hydroxybutyric, Orotic, 2-Hydroxyhippuric, 2-Hydroxyisovaleric, 2-Oxoisovaleric, 3-Methyl-2-oxovaleric, 2-Hydroxyisocaproic, 2-Oxoisocaproic, 2-Oxo-4-methiolbutyric, Mandelic, Phenyllactic, Phenylpyruvic, Homogentisic, 4-Hydroxyphenyllactic, N-Acetylaspartic, Malonic, Phosphoric.
The following are examples of metabolic processes:
Impaired methylation processes that influence the creation and breakdown of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine and adrenaline.
Impaired sulfation processes that influence the body’s ability to remove toxins.
Oxidative stress that can cause failure in mitochondrial functions (failure in structural functioning of each cell’s cytoplasm – where the cell’s energy is created).
Excess growth of fungal yeast and harmful bacteria in the digestive system stemming from the release of metabolic products of the same harmful bacteria.
C.A.T’s goal Is to improve cognitive, social and verbal ability by repairing impaired metabolic processes.
Treatment lasts approx. 5 months and includes four phases. Each phase includes several clearly defined goals. The treatment focuses on the ongoing process and not on the individual phase.
Prior to initiation of therapy, pre-tests for liver and kidney parameters are required to check the suitability for the treatment.
These tests will be carried out independently by the patient’s parents in the country of origin and will be sent via E-mail to C.A.T center in Israel.
Alkaline Phosphatase (B)
K+ Potassium (B)
-EEG (Electroencephalogram) tests result .
If no significantly abnormal results are detected in the laboratory tests, a broad questionnaire will be sent via Email.
The questionnaire includes questions relating to the patient’s relationship with his or her surroundings, emotional expression, repetitive “rituals”, motoric functions, temper tantrums, the existence or inexistence of self-affliction or affliction towards others, attention & concentration, eye contact, food intake, digestive issues, known sensitivities and allergies, sleep patterns, hearing deficiencies, obsessive behavior, temper tantrums, intolerance, anxiety, craving sweets/simple carbohydrates), issues pertaining to the digestive system, issues pertaining to sensory processing and more.
After receiving the pre-tests and the questionnaire, you will be invited to the C.A.T Center in Israel in order for broad-spectrum laboratory tests. In addition, a frontal appointment with Tali Angor (founder of the C.A.T method) will be scheduled.
Lab tests can include:
- Organic Acids Test: Organic acid analysis can detect accumulation of organic acids in urine and other body fluids and is a crucial first-tier laboratory test for a broad spectrum of inborn errors of metabolism.
- Advanced stool test: A stool test based on the DNA analysis of microorganisms sampled. It is an innovative technology that is characterized by high sensitivity and precision to identifying pathogens (such as bacteria, parasites, and viruses) using a single stool fungus and bacterial genes.
- Metals Hair Test – Metals Hair Test can detect current exposure to toxic metals such as Antimony (Sb), Mercury (Hg), Beryllium (Be), Uranium (U), Cadmium (Cd), Aluminium (Al), Arsenic (As) and Lead (Pb).
- Red Blood Cell (RBC) Elements: Are used to assess the status of essential elements with important intracellular functions, such as Arsenic, Boron, Cadmium, Calcium, Cesium, Chromium, Copper, Iron, Lead, Magnesium, Manganese, Mercury, Molybdenum, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Thallium and Zinc.
- Food intolerance test, for identifying food sensitivities (IgG test): IgG (immunoglobulin G) test results aid in the structuring of elimination diets to relieve symptoms of chronic neurological, gastrointestinal, and movement disorders. IgG antibodies are present in all body fluids and serve as a first line of defense against infection, but do not release histamine or produce the familiar immediate hypersensitivity reactions of itching, hives, flushing, or sneezing associated with classic IgE allergic reactions. In contrast, IgG antibodies may have more subtle immune effects, ranging from gastrointestinal bloating, headaches, mood changes, and fatigue.
- Blood test and various tests required: based on the information obtained from the questionnaire.
The treatment protocol will be prepared within 14 days of receipt of all laboratory test results. A second frontal meeting will be held at the C.A.T Center in Israel.
During the meeting, a comprehensive explanation of the test results and the treatment protocol will be provided. The protocol will include guidelines for taking vitamins, amino acids and minerals, as well as guidelines on the types of foods to avoid during the treatment period.
Nutritional supplements required for a five-month treatment period will be purchased separately in the country of origin or at: https://www.biocare.co.uk/
Throughout the treatment, the C.A.T center staff is available for any question or consulting.